Monday, March 9, 2009



Excerpt from the recording session for "Dave",
Chicago - Feb 27th - March 1st.

We finished mixing at 3:45pm still unsure about what we had made. A few more listens convinced us that the improbable racket we had strung together actually sounded like a song. My Orion III shuttle back to Milwaukee was at 5pm - and so with the aid of Eric's array of sci-fi gadgets, our collaborative backing-track was completed, and I returned safely back home to Earth.

This was the first time Eric and I have collaborated on writing and recording music - and the tight rendez-vouz window we had arranged demanded airtight scheduling and efficiency. After an initial music listening session, featuring Camel - Giorgio Moroder - Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds and Focus, we agreed that a prog-disco approach was in order.

This was my first time working with Ableton Live - which is an unconventional but powerful DAW of the German persuasion. I think we really pushed it's capabilities, and were both doing a lot of manual-reading. The beauty of using Ableton's loop-based composition was that we could easily integrate our disparate parts fairly smoothly. Ableton's synths & plug-ins are sex - but we had the immoderate fruition of using Eric's incredible Moog Little Phatty - which integrated beautifully and gave some authentic progformances.

I hope Rob enjoys working on the track. I'm really looking forward to working on the AMAZING backing-tracks that I've recieved. This could easily be the best IML album to date. Stay on target!


3 comments:

  1. Jeepers 'death in the cosmos' creepers! I could actually feel that video on my skin, like an arachnid. I feel all 'felt up'.
    There is a joke, half-formulated, in someone's head, somewhere, about this video having lots of atmopshere. It's probably a bad joke, but it doesn't matter. The video definitely does have atmopshere, thick and terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. How fantastic to see the first ever IML video on youtube (apart from videos of the other IML but, really, don't go there). This track sounds like it's going to be awesome, in fact, other than the smashing Laika backing track from Kip that I've got to lyricise, this it the only bit of SOSpace stuff I've heard. Exciting indeed. As you say, this could be the best one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a composite of wild sax takes and an unused 'monolith' sound effects. I'm not giving much away with this vid.

    ReplyDelete