Friday, April 10, 2009

Only 10 vocal tracks this time. Fighting...urges...

I've just finished recording vocals over Ash's doomy track about Gully Foyle (main character of "The Stars My Destination"). I had a lot of fun with this one. It's DARK, folks. It immediately reminded me of Deftones' "Change (In the House of Flies)"...a whole lot of atmosphere, and a whole lot of groove. There's actually one bit left to record: a teeny tiny screaming part...it's a little too late for that right now. Don't worry, the scream is tasteful. On a related note: I wonder if I'm the only metalhead in the IML...

I don't want to ruin it, but there was something sort of funny about working on this track: half of the lyrics were already written for me. If you're interested in spoiling it for yourself, head over to the Wikipedia article about the book...it won't take very long for you to find what I'm talking about. That said, I did write lyrics of my own, and I really like those too.

And in some IML news: Greg asked me to take on another track in place of my roommate Mike, who is a very busy guy. I'll be singing over Tim M's track about Pluto. I'm really excited about this because the two tracks could not be more different. My work on Ash's track is similar to the Blackbeard track from the Sea album...but I'm going to have to do something completely different for this new one. It's so...happy! I've always wanted to try something a little more...flamboyant, vocally speaking. I'm excited.

An interesting predicament: one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Jonathan Coulton, has a song about Pluto called "I'm Your Moon." It's a love song, from the perspective of Pluto's moon, Charon. Charon is trying to cheer Pluto up after his recent demotion from planet status. Also, Charon and Pluto are roughly the same size, so Charon doesn't revolve around Pluto, they revolve around each other. Jonathan Coulton called this particular phenomenon "the most romantic thing I've ever heard."

So, I have to do something else! I have two ideas for making a happy Pluto song. Idea #1: a song sung by a pre-2006 Pluto...he's just so happy to be a planet, and nobody can take that away from him! Idea #2: a song sung by Planet X (Pluto before 1930). Everybody's looking for him, and he's trying to get their attention...I'm over here, guys! The problem with that: it might come a little too close to "Call Them X"...but maybe not. Votes? Other ideas?

Time for bed!

1 comment:

  1. I like the origin of the name story for Pluto the planet. This extracted from Wikipedia:

    "The name Pluto was proposed by Venetia Burney (later Venetia Phair), an eleven-year-old schoolgirl in Oxford, England.[26] Venetia was interested in classical mythology as well as astronomy, and considered the name, one of the alternate names of Hades, the Greek god of the Underworld, appropriate for such a presumably dark and cold world. She suggested it in a conversation with her grandfather Falconer Madan, a former librarian of Oxford University's Bodleian Library. Madan passed the name to Professor Herbert Hall Turner, who then cabled it to colleagues in America.[27]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto

    Although I'm not suggesting you sing like a precocious 11 year old girl.

    ReplyDelete