Sunday, February 22, 2009

One Small Step

Looks like I'm the first to get my instrumental track in! As some of you may have heard, an event called Record Time IV starts tomorrow. The goal of Record Time is to write and record an album in a week. As RT4 will be ending on March 1st, I realized I had to get my IML recording done as soon as possible!

So...the frustrating part: I actually recorded two songs for the IML. The first one was very, very spacey. It was also a rather terrible song. It was only piano, and about 12 tracks of synth pads, and it took me far too long to realize no one was going to be able to sing over it, and it would probably be skipped within the first 15 seconds of listening.

Eventually I scrapped it and wrote something that literally could not be more different. While I love the first 2 IML albums, there seems to be an abundance of slow and mid-tempo songs...I thought something very upbeat might be appreciated. What I came up with was a 3-minute pop-punk song that, while not spacey whatsoever, has a high potential for catchiness. And plus, I think it's time we stop equating space with synth pads. Obviously, the spaciness of this track will have to come from the lyrics.

Also, I decided not to pick a theme for my track...I'd like to say there was a good reason for this, but honestly I just couldn't think of anything in space that's really happy or fun, which this track seems to call for...but I'm sure my vocalist will think of something.

I'm a little worried my track will disrupt the flow of the album, but hopefully it will fit somehow. If not, I suppose I could always do something else!

Shameless plug: if you want to make an album in a week, starting tomorrow, join Record Time! Search for it on Facebook, or if you don't have one of those, e-mail me at djwaldkirch@bsu.edu

Later!
Dan

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Dan - I fear my collaboration with Eric will be the very LAST to be submitted! But well done. Having spoken with a number of IML members, song first-attempts are often abortive. Another song for the archives!

    Interesting that you couldn't pick a theme - Space is actually quite a challenging topic if you aren't going the sci-fi route. I was lucky that my team-up with Eric nurtured a subject from our common sci-fi interests.

    ReplyDelete