Monday, January 19, 2009

Hubble trouble

Well I've just watched a documentary about the Hubble telescope and all the great work it (and the people that make it work) have done to expand astronomers knowledge of the universe. Here's a link to their marvelous Hubble photo gallery.

This isn't to say that I'm going to write some music inspired by Hubble. The problem is, as Douglas Adams put it "space is big, really big" or something like that. I'm not sure where I'd start. That's what this post is about. Where do you start? I don't know whether to pick up an acoustic guitar, a synthesizer or a piano. Alright, I'm not going to pick the piano up whatever happens but I might sit near it, and plink it.

Maybe I'll play a version of rock paper scissors with hand shapes for a guitar, a piano and a synthesizer. I can't think of any other way of proceeding.

1 comment:

  1. I'd certainly like to hear some more PIANO in the IML! Space-piano would be a real challenge!

    Poor old HST. Its not long for this world (or any other!) but its done well. The next gen of US array telescopes has been suppressed by NASA for decades to keep Hubble looking good. They'll be thousands of times quicker and more powerful. I just hope the new space-program doesn't delay them any longer.

    ReplyDelete